Frank Clark, the player, was to win almost every major honour in the game, except for that all important International recognition. 

At the age of 19 he appeared at Wembley for the first time, playing for Cook Town in their 4-0 FA Amateur Cup win over Hounslow Town.

Later he moved to St. James's Park, joining  Newcastle United. He was an ever present in their 1964-65 Second Division Championship side. He also played in their FA Cup Final defeat against Liverpool in 1974.

He moved to the City Ground as a player in July 1975 where he was to win many more honours with Forest, including three League cup medals and a European Cup Winners medal against Malmo.

He played a total of 117 games for Forest and when he left  he moved into his first management job with Orient.

After the O's were relegated in 1984-85 he twice led them to within reach of the play-offs before finally winning promotion in 1988-89, via the play-offs.

In November 1986, Clark became a managing director and was given a seat on the board. 

When Brian Clough retired at the end of the 1992-93 season, it was Frank Clark who he recommended to the Forest board as his replacement. So began a second stint at the City Ground for Clark. This time in the unenviable position of Brian Clough's replacement.

His task was to get Forest back into the Premiership at the first try. After a bad start to the 1993-94 season, which saw Forest languishing in the bottom half of the First Division, things started to get better. Some shrewd buys, in the form of Stan Collymore and Lars Bohinen were starting to pay dividends. The end of his first season in charge saw Forest finishing as runners up to Crystal Palace and gaining that all important return to the Premiership.

The 1994-95 season saw Forest start well in the Premiership and they just went  from strength to strength. They set the Premiership record for an away win when they beat Sheffield Wednesday 7 - 1 at Hillsborough, on April 1 1995. They finished the season in third position, only ten points behind Champions Blackburn Rovers. Their reward was a UEFA Cup place.

As Forest prepared for the 1995-96 Premiership season, hopes were high. The trouble is, things have a habit of going wrong at this stage of the season, and Stan Collymore, his ego now hugely inflated, was believing his own publicity. He wanted out, he was too good for Forest. He was sold to Liverpool for a then British record transfer fee of 8.5m. 

Collymore's replacement was the old Arsenal warhorse, Kevin Campbell. He had not been getting much of a run in the team at Arsenal, and  had a recurring back injury. The 1995-96 season was not a spectacular one, Forest finished in mid-table obscurity. The only highlight being a good run in the UEFA Cup.

The 1996-97 season started on a high note, Kevin Campbell finally looking fit, got the season off to a great start scoring a hat-trick in the opening day victory at Highfield Road against Coventry. Little did we know what was round the corner. The season just got worse and worse. In December 1996, with Forest now languishing at the bottom of the Premiership, Frank Clark resigned his post.

He went on to become manager of Manchester City a few weeks later, but was dismissed from this post as City slumped towards the Second Division.

Frank Clark is currently Vice-Chairman of the League Manager's Association.