16/10/1999 Sheffield United
2 - 1

The Reds committed a fatal " kami-quashie" attack to their own ambition of gaining their first away win of the season, when Nigel Quashie committed a shocking tackle on Paul Devlin right on half time with Forest ahead and looking comfortable. To make matters worse, in the inevitable ruck that followed, Quashie then appeared to elbow another United player before he himself became a victim of a blatant strike by Devlin. When the referee finally managed to bring some order to proceedings, everyone in the Ground was expecting to see 2 red cards, and if that had been the case then no-one could have argued. However, the terribly inept Mr Cable sent off Quashie but only produced a yellow card for Devlin - definitely one of the most scandalous decisions you will witness anywhere this season. The whole game was to turn on this decision.
Sheffield United started the way their neighbors Wednesday had finished earlier in the week, pushing Forest onto the back foot for the first 15 minutes and creating several good chances, two in particular bringing the best out of Mark Crossley yet again. Forest had reverted to a 4-4-2 formation today, and after surviving the early pressure, began to take control of the game. A terrific shot by Wright cannoned back off the crossbar and fell to Freedman who couldn't direct his header past Tracey. Forest continued to apply steady pressure and deservedly went ahead after 43 minutes. Great work on the bye-line by Rogers and Quashie produced a cross that fell right on Freedman's head and this time he made no mistake to nod the ball into the net. Quashie'e dismissal followed shortly after and the half ended with the Forest players surrounding the ref on the walk back to the dressing rooms. It was obvious that they had lost all respect for the official, and one could sense that the second half would prove difficult.
From a position of dominance, Forest found themselves under pressure right from the re-start, and within 12 minutes were trailing. Devlin had already hit the crossbar and Crossley had produced another excellent save from Smith, before the same player hit the first of his two goals after 55 minutes. He appeared to miss-hit his effort but somehow it still managed to find it's way into the bottom corner. Two minutes later and he was at it again, firing a right foot volley on the turn past a stunned Crossley. The Forest players appeared more concerned with getting Devlin than trying to get back into the match, seemingly content with just the odd long range shot at goal.
It was no real surprise that a further Reds player disappeared down the tunnel for an early bath, but no-one expected it to be Platt. Rogers and Bonalair had already been booked for tackles on the same player, in fact Bonalair managed to push him over the advertising hoardings!!!!!!! Almost on the final whistle, Platt lunged in with a two footed tackle that almost took off both of Devlin's legs and he was on his way.
This defeat has left the Reds only two points above the dreaded relegation zone and they must begin to win on the road soon. They get another early chance on Tuesday at Port Vale. If you read this boys, and I know that some of you do, get this show back on the road.
Forest Man-of-the-Match: Riccardo Scimeca


[Click on Player Name to view Player Profile and Statistics]

No.Player Scored Cards
PRUTTON  Substituted    
 WRIGHT  Substituted    
 FREEDMAN    1  
11 HAREWOOD  Substitute    
 MERINO  Substitute    


View                       Sign
     uk_b_iaw_medium.gif (1683 bytes)                     

e-mail [email protected]