22/11/2003 Wigan Athletic
2 - 2

For a few hours at least, Wigan had the chance to go to the top of Division One, but a resolute Forest denied them the opportunity as they came away from the JJB Stadium with a valuable point.

The home side had the better of it in the first half as Forest struggled to get their act together.

The Reds then suffered a big blow on the half-hour mark when Michael Dawson was substituted.

It came shortly after Geoff Horsfield had gone in late and over-the-top on Dawson with a late challenge, though Dawson’s substitution seemed to be unconnected as he went off clutching his hamstring.

With a minute to go to the break Wigan got the goal they had been looking for after a mistake let in Andy Liddell.

He fed the ball to Nathan Ellington, who smashed the ball in from close range.

Wigan almost doubled their lead less than a minute later as Nathan Ellington put the ball in the net, only for it to be ruled out for offside.

Paul Hart may or may not have had stern words for his side during the break. But whatever he did, it had the desired effect and Forest were a different side as they attacked Wigan from the off and put them under pressure.

Less than a minute after the restart, Gareth Taylor had his shot blocked at the last moment by Ian Breckin. But the Reds got their reward for their efforts four minutes later as Taylor forced Wigan ‘keeper, John Filan into a superb save with a blistering header.

Harewood then crashed his follow-up into the woodwork, but John Thompson was on-hand to slot the ball home from six yards out.

Forest’s second goal came in the 67th minute as Marlon Harewood converted Eugen Bopp’s corner.

The second goal seemed to spur Wigan back into life and within four minutes, they were back on level terms as Andy Liddell crashed home a sweet volley from 20-yards out.

Andy Reid came close to winning the game as he fooled everyone before unleashing a bullet-like shot, which flew the wrong side of the upright.

A draw is probably a fair reflection of the game as a whole, but the single point really was two lost as Forest dropped a place in the table thanks to Crewe’s victory over Sunderland.
Forest Man-of-the-Match:


[Click on Player Name to view Player Profile and Statistics]

No. Player Scored Cards
24  ROBERTSON       
DAWSON  Substituted    
94  GUNNARSSON       
15  BOPP       
98  McPHAIL       
10  TAYLOR       
99  HAREWOOD    1  
WALKER  Substitute (On for 5 )    


View                       Sign

e-mail [email protected]