30/10/1999 Barnsley
1 - 0

Forest ran out at a very windy Oakwell looking to complete their first double of the season. The Reds included new signing Jim Brennan from Bristol City and recalled Steve Chettle as they continued to play a 4-4-2 formation. A fairly even start saw Forest closing Barnsley down quickly and the ball was fizzing about without anyone really taking control. The first chance of the game fell to Barnsley after 5 minutes. Mike Sheron burst through the middle and was brought down on the edge of the box by Louis-Jean. Technically, L-J was the last man and could have been sent off, but the referee decided to brandish only the yellow card. The kick was taken by Jones, whose shot was safely blocked by the wall.
Barnsley continued to press and good work by Shipperley saw him put a low ball into the box that was knocked behind for a corner by Chettle. Hignett floated the ball into the box where it was met by Morgan but his header went harmlessly wide. From the goal kick the Reds went onto the attack. Prutton saw Harewood in a good position but his pass was overhit and the ball crossed the line for a goal kick to the Tykes. On 13 minutes a good move involving Harewood, Freedman, Bart-Williams, Chettle and Brennan saw Forest win a corner. Bart-Man took it, but his cross was too deep and the ball was headed away by Appleby. Now it was Barnsleys turn to attack, and a long range effort by Appleby caused Crossley a few anxious moments as it bounced just in front of him. He spilled it at the first attempt but recovered to thwart Shipperley who was following in.
Barnsley were awarded another free kick after 25 minutes, again on the edge of the box, following a foul by Hjelde on Shipperley. This time Jones managed to get his shot through the wall and it was well saved by Crossley low down to his left hand side. Forest had their best chance so far when Freedman made a very direct run through the Barnsley defence, but his shot was straight at Miller, who saved easily. Barnsley hit back. A good cross in from the right saw Louis -Jean lose his footing and the ball went straight to Shipperley ( thank God ) who tamely headed wide when he should have scored. Barnsley were now beginning to get the better of the Reds and continued to pressure the Forest goal. Following a short corner, Hignet rolled the ball to Appleby, but his shot was rising all the time and sailed over the bar.
A rare Forest excursion into the Barnsley half ended when Brennan lost control of the ball. A long bal over the top of the Reds defence found Sheron, who looked to be at least 10 yards off side. However the flag stayed down and he was one on one with Big Norm. Crossley stayed on his feet and produced a marvellous save to keep Forest level. The second half started as the first had ended, with Barnsley on the attack. Sheron managed to get away from Hjelde and hit a fine shot that was brilliantly palmed away by Crossley. The ball was knocked back into the danger area and a curling shot by Shipperley had Crossley at full stretch before going wide. Forest were showing nothing as an attacking force, with Harewood in particular doing little more than go through the motions. The game was to be decided on 56 minutes. A through ball from Shipperley found Hignett in a good position and he was challenged by Hjelde who appeared to win the ball as Hignett went tumbling. The referee decided otherwise and awarded a penalty to Barnsley. Crossley was booked for arguing before being sent the wrong way by Hignett and it was 1-0 to Barnsley. Platt rolled the dice after 60 minutes, replacing the out of touch Harewood with David Freeman ( Freeman and Frredman, surely this will confuse Larry Lloyd ), and Bart Man with Petracchi in an effort to inject some enthusiasm into the attack.
But it was to be Bansley who had the next goal scoring oportunity. Agood cross by Hignett was knocked down by Shipperley to Appleby, who blazed his shot over the bar from no more than 4 yards. Forest made a further change on 80 minutes, Ian Woan replacing Bonalair. Barnsley almost scored again after 88 minutes. A daisy cutter of a shot by Hignett was again tipped around the post by Crossley, with the defence no where to be seen. Forest only really came to life in the 4 minutes of added time, when they could easily have scored twice. First a great shot by Petracchi was tipped around bty Miller . Crossley ran up for the corner only to see it taken SHORT leaving him stranded and forcing him to gallop (?) back towards his own goal. Then Woan had a great chance to level it, but his shot was well saved. So the Reds fail on their travels yet again. Things must improve quickly or it will be a mediocre season at best.
Forest Man-of-the-Match: Mark Crossley


[Click on Player Name to view Player Profile and Statistics]

No. Player Scored Cards
40  PRUTTON       
  BART-WILLIAMS  Substituted    
11  HAREWOOD  Substituted    
BRENNAN  Substituted    
  FREEMAN  Substitute (On for 9 )    
  PETRACHI  Substitute (On for 8 )    
  WOAN  Substitute (On for 11 )    


View                       Sign
     uk_b_iaw_medium.gif (1683 bytes)                     

e-mail [email protected]