January 29 2000

A point Won - Or Two Lost?: Forest managed to get a point from their game at Loftus Road this afternoon as they drew 1-1. This was a very different game from the 0-0 bore draw with West Brom last week though, Forest started slowly but managed to take control of the game and dominate it throughout.

Forest took the lead on 12 minutes from a set play. Alan Rogers free kick was header home by Q.P.R. old boy Nigel Quashie. From this point on there looked like there would be only one winner as Forest dominated the game.

Q.P.R. had much to thank their 'keeper, Lee Harper, for as he made excellent saves to deny Dougie Freedman and Alan Rogers from scoring. The breakthrough for Q.P.R. came in the 76th minute when Karl Ready received a cross from Ian Barraclough and headed it down into the path of Kiwomya who beat Crossley to level the scores.

Crossley was in for the suspended Dave Beasant, and took the opportunity to show the fans what he thought of his present predicament by wearing a tee shit with "What ever happens to me" written on the front and "I will always love you, fans at NFFC". The away fans loved it, but I'm not sure what Platt will have thought about it all.

January 28 2000

Smith Does U-Turn: Martin Smith has changed his mind. Instead of joining Forest Smith has decided to go to Huddersfield.

David Platt had hoped to parade the Sheffield United striker at a press conference at lunchtime, alongside Jack Lester who has completed his �300,000 switch from Grimsby.

But this morning Platt was told that Smith had decided to join Huddersfield instead. Platt agreed a �300,000 fee with Sheffield United earlier this week and then struck a deal with Smith over personal terms, said: "Martin has decided that he wants to join Huddersfield.

"I'm disappointed and would have to question the player's integrity and commitment to the cause. If that's the sort of man Martin is, I don't want him at The City Ground.

"I agreed a deal with Sheffield United on Monday and was told by his agent on Thursday that the player had agreed everything.

"I knew he had family problems but was told he would be with us on Friday to finalise everything."

It's the second transfer market blow in 24 hours for Platt, who saw his hopes of signing Spencer Prior collapse yesterday over personal terms.

It's Red Lester: Jack Lester has completed his move from Grimsby To Forest. The striker completed his £300,000 move last night and Platt will be introducing him to the media during a press conference at lunchtime today.

January 27 2000

Prior Deal Breaks Down: David Platt has had talks with Spencer Prior after agreeing a fee of £600,000 with Derby for the defender.

However, the two sides have been unable to come to an agreement over personl terms and the talks have broken down. A spokesman said it is unlikely the talks wil be resurrected.

Oh The Irony! : Reports are coming in that Jack Lester has completed his move to Forest after agreeing personal terms with David Platt earlier this afternoon. There is no news yet as to whether or not Martin Smith has completed his move.

However, bearing in mind that we have bought these players to replace long term injury victim Stern John it comes as somewhat ironic that neither player will be available for Saturday's game at Loftus Road. Lester has a slight groin strain and Smith is suffering with a hamstring problem.

David Platt is also looking to complete the move of Spencer Prior from Derby and should he be successful, Prior will be fit to play against Q.P.R.

Ram Raid Is On: Earlier rumours linking David Platt with a move for Derby's out-of-favour defender Spencer Prior have been confirmed. The clubs have agreed an undisclosed figure for the player, believed to be around £650,000. Platt will meet with Prior and his advisors to discuss personal terms later today.

January 26 2000

John Out For Five Months: Forest received very bad news today, Stern John will be out for the next five months.

John was flown out to see Professor Maertens, a world-renowned specialist in knee ligament injuries. He told John that the cruciate ligament does not require surgery, however, the rehabilitation will take five months.

John picked up the injury during Saturday's 0-0 draw against West Brom at The City Ground. David Platt said: "In many ways it�s good news that Stern does not need surgery but he won�t play again this season. It�s a blow for us but most of all I feel for Stern."

Smith On His Way: Forest are expecting to complete the signing of Sheffield United striker Martin Smith today. The clubs agreed a fee yesterday and Smith is currently negotiating his personal terms with Forest. Platt is looking to sign the player in time for him to play on Saturday at Q.P.R.

Forest are also understood to have agreed a fee with Grimsby for striker Jack Lester and again he has to discuss his personal terms with the club.

Youth Through: Forest's talented youth squad progressed through to the next round of the FA Youth Cup last night. They Beat Liverpool's youth team 2-1.

The Forest goals came from Jermaine Jenas on 2 minutes and Matt Turner on 12 minutes. Chris Thompson scored for Liverpool late in the game.

Their reward for the win is an away trip to Arsenal in the 5th round.

January 25 2000

Fees Agreed: David Platt has agreed undisclosed fees with both Sheffield United for Martin Smith and Grimsby for Jack Lester. He's now hoping to meet the two strikers within the next 24 hours to discuss personal terms and is aiming to complete both transfers before the end of the week.

Board Give The Go-ahead: Eric Barnes has confirmed that Platt will get extra transfer cash � if Stern John's injury is as bad as Forest fear.

Eric Barnes said: "David has spent a lot of money and we originally told him he would have to do a bit of dealing himself to bring in new players.

"But if Stern John's injury is bad, David will be able to spend now and deal later.

"David has to be supported to get us ready at the end of this season to be in a position to launch ourselves properly into the next one"

Platt Looking To The Board: David Platt is hoping to persuade the board in the near future to step up his pursuit of Martin Smith and Jack Lester.

Forest's directors are due to meet at the City Ground today for a routine board meeting and Platt is looking to secure backing to move into the transfer market.

Jack Lester is now officially on the transfer market at Grimsby Town after a fax was circulated yesterday inviting offers for him. People had been saying that he was available but it is official now and the club have made it clear that they expect him to leave so they are trying to get money for him now.

Both Lester and Smith would be available on a free at the end of the season and as such are now cut-price to the best offer, Platt hopes the board will sanction a move for one or the other, if not both, which would come as a major boost to the boss considering the recent injury to striker Stern John at such a critical stage of the season.

Prutton Returns To Youth: David Prutton will return to the youth team tonight for the fifth round of the FA Youth Cup at home to Liverpool.

The teenager, who has established himself as a regular choice for the first team, will line up for the Under-18 side after apparently jumping at the offer to play in the game from the manager.

January 24 2000

Stern Latest: Forest will be forced to wait to find out the full extent of Stern John's ligament injury as he has to see a specialist for a scan this week. The news comes as a massive blow for the club and the player himself, after limping out of Saturday's game he was given a MRI scan and although it is clear that he has damaged a posterior cruciate ligament it is not known as to the full extent of the damage.

David Platt commented: "The ligament has been extensively strained but we're still not sure of the full extent of the problem. It's a blow for us but most of all I feel for Stern."

January 22 2000

Bore Draw : Forest scraped through a boring 0-0 draw with West Brom at The City Ground this afternoon. The down side of the whole game is that Stern John had to be substituted in the second half with a suspected cruciate ligament injury. The injury could see John out of action for the rest of the season.

January 19 2000

A Very Blue Day : Forest travelled down to the Bridge this evening and lost 2-0 to Chelsea in the FA Cup 4th round.

Chelsea's goals came from Frank Leboeuf and Dennis Wise, both headers and both in the second half.

Chelsea started the better side and to be fair played most of the game as the better side. This should not in anyway be considered a criticism of Forest who defended valiantly. Forest were playing a 4-5-1 formation with Stern John playing the role of the lone-striker and Dougie Freedman playing out on the right wing.

It took Forest about fifteen minutes to get into the game, with Chelsea applying constant pressure. Chelsea almost took the lead on the half hour mark when Petrescu looked to have scored, but some brilliant defending from Matthieu Louis-Jean saw the ball hooked overhead off the goal line. Zola then scored, as Petrescu again chipped Beasant, the ball was on it's way into the net, but Zola's greed got the better of him and he knocked it in to see the goal ruled out for offside. Had Zola left the ball alone there is no doubt the goal would have stood. Petrescu, understandably, was furious with Zola and if looks could kill we would now be holding a memorial service for the little Italian.

Forest got to the half way stage with the score still level at 0-0, we were starting to think that maybe it was our night and at worst we would get them back to The City Ground for a replay. Chelsea had other ideas though.

Chelsea came out for the second half much as they had in the first. They went straight on the attack, putting Forest under constant pressure from the off. Chelsea created several chances to break the deadlock in the early stages of the second half, before finally getting the first goal on 57 minutes. Zola drove in a fierce free kick which Leboeuf flicked on into the top corner.

Beasant went on to make many excellent saves to keep Forest in the game, but on 86 minutes with a neat little header, Dennis Wise sealed Forest's fate with Chelsea's second goal of the game.

Chelsea nearly added a third in the dying moments when Tore Andre Flo's effort was stopped by a brilliant save from Beasant.

Some very good defending and a fair smattering of luck for Forest kept the score down, Chelsea could probably have converted three or four of their chances on another night. For this the Forest team can hold their heads up and take many positives from this game. If they can start to play like this consistently against their First Division rivals they can soon climb out of the danger area.

One thing did become rather obvious tonight as we watched Chelsea's millionaires, the gap between the Premiership and First Division is getting bigger all the time, it is so obvious now that even a blind man could see it. The current Forest team is certainly not ready for the big time, though they do have several players in the squad that could cope individually. Lets hope that when we do go up the whole team is ready for it.

Blue Day : Forest travel down to Stamford Bridge this evening, where they will face the foreign legion of Chelsea in the FA Cup 4th round. Should Forest make it through this tie (something all the papers and bookmakers think very unlikely) they will earn themselves a 5th round tie against Arsenal or Leicester.

Forest travel down with the same squad that lost 4-3 in the dramatic game against Grimsby on Saturday which saw both Jon Olav Hjelde and Dave Beasant sent off.

Forest must also contend with their very poor away record, which has seen them win only two away games all season.

January 18 2000

Rearranged Date For Youth Cup: Forest's FA youth cup match at home to Liverpool, due to be played tonight, has been cancelled because of the first team game against Chelsea tomorrow night. The game will now be played on Tuesday 25th January.

Booth Must Wait: Dennis Booth must wait for Forest to receive the FA report on his ejection from Blundell Park on Saturday. Only then will Booth know what punishment he will receive from Forest.

Booth was ejected from the ground for alleged use of foul and abusive language after Jon Olav Hjelde and Dave Beasant were both sent off by the referee.

The report is expected later this week. The statement from the club read: "The Chairman of the club Eric Barnes and Chief Executive Mark Arthur met with David Platt and Dennis Booth on Monday morning and decided that they would review the situation once they had received the FA report. That is likely to be issued later this week and until such time there will be no further comment from the club."

January 17 2000

Smith Blow : Forest's bid to sign Sheffield United striker Martin Smith has been dealt a blow with the news that he will be ruled out for up to a month by a hamstring strain.

David Platt believed that Smith had chosen to join him rather than stay at Bramall Lane or sign up for Huddersfield Town. But the deal may now be off until the summer as Smith has been ruled out until mid-February.

Platt said last week: "Neil Warnock has actually told me that Martin wants to join us. That�s his preferred option and that puts us in the driving seat. We know he�s a free agent in the summer and taking everything into account, we feel we�ve made an exceptional offer for the player.

"If it�s not going to happen now, we�ll have to be patient and wait for the summer and we would be able to do that in the knowledge that Martin wants to join us. We're quite aware that other things may happen but at the moment we�re in a good position."

January 15 2000

Dennis The Menace: After the game at Grimsby it has been revealed that Dennis Booth, David Platt's assistant, was ejected from the ground by Police after he refused to stop using foul and abusive language. The incident happened after the second sending off.

Police have said that they will not be taking any action against Booth, however, they will be sending a report to the FA, so Booth will have a trip to Lancaster Gate to look forward to in the very near future.

Forest Sunk By Mariners: Forest went down 4-3 this afternoon in a match of some drama. Grimsby found themselves 2-0 in front after only 34 minutes of the game. The goals coming from Jack Lester and Lee Ashcroft. Within a minute of the second Grimsby goal Alan Rogers got one back for Forest with a screaming drive from twenty five yards out. The teams went in at half time with the score 2-1.

Within two minutes of the start of the second half Forest drew level when Dougie Freedman's cross was turned into the net by defender Mark Lever, from this point on Grimsby were rocked and Forest took control of the game.

On 66 minutes events turned against Forest when Hjelde was judged to have bought down Lee Ashcroft. The ref, who was miles away at the time, decided it was a professional foul and Hjelde was red-carded and a penalty awarded. Lee Ashcroft picked himself up, dusted himself down and blasted the penalty home.

Replays of this event on Sky TV had the pundits (Ray Wilkins and Nigel Spackman) in agreement. It wasn't a penalty, the events occurred outside the box, and it wasn't a sending off (Hjelde won the ball). Don't you just love ref's.

Five minutes later Dave 'walkabout' Beasant was up to his usual trick of wandering around aimlessly outside of his area when Jack Lester burst through. Beasant rushed to meet him and Lester tried to lob him. The ball struck Beasant's arm and he was red-carded as well. Forest were now down to 9 men.

Replays of this event on Sky TV had the pundits (Ray Wilkins and Nigel Spackman) in agreement. Beasant should not have been there, he did handle the ball, he had to go. No argument on that one. Nigel Spackman did ask the question, "Why was he out there?" Well Nigel, we ask that question every bloody week and we still don't know, all I can say is 'make the most of this chance Norm.'

Mark Crossley came on to replace Beasant and Louis-Jean made way for him. Ten minutes later Crossley was picking the ball out of the net after Kevin Donovan's strike took the score to 4-2.

Forest got a goal back in injury time when Alan Roger's cross/shot fooled everyone and curled into the Grimsby net. The final score was 4-3 and it says much about Forest's character these days that they never gave up, even when down to 9 men and even managed to score a goal in the dying minutes of the game.

Smith Deal Moves A Step Closer: It looks like the Martin Smith deal moved another step closer for Forest today when Neil Warnock admitted in an interview that he is resigned to losing the player.

Warnock says Smith has turned down his offer of a lucrative new contract, and the Blades boss also slammed Forest manager David Platt for going behind his back to make the player an offer.

He said: "I think we will end up losing Martin to Forest if they come up with the �500,000 fee.

"We have offered him more money than he originally asked for the first couple of years. It's a cracking contract but it looks like he will turn it down.

"We should know over the weekend about the Smith situation. But I am annoyed that Forest have apparently made a big offer to his agent. I'm also annoyed that they have made an approach and offered him a deal that will make him one of the top-paid players in the division.

"But until they do sign him he is a Sheffield United player and they won't get him on the cheap."

Platt has been chasing Smith for more than a month. The striker, who has scored 15 goals already this season joined the Blades from Sunderland in the summer but was only given a one-year deal, making him a free agent in June.

Forest are keen to complete the deal sooner rather than later as they will lose Stern John for at least two matches next month. He is joining his Trinidad and Tobago team-mates to take part in the Confederation's Gold Cup in Los Angeles.

Platt is not saying much about his chances of signing Smith. But the player is understood to be impressed by the offer from Forest and the club may be able to bide their time and pull off the deal.

January 14 2000

Johnson In New Injury Blow: Andy Johnson has been ruled out for up to four weeks after a damaged nerve in his foot has forced him to undergo surgery.

The midfielder will miss Forest's FA Cup clash with Chelsea on Wednesday. Boss David Platt said: "Of course this is a major blow for us but the problem will not get any better unless we sort it out now.

"Andy had to have injections before the match against Oxford but it has been decided that it's better to operate now than later.

"Depending on the surgery he could be out for between two and four weeks.

"Andy has been looking very sharp lately and this news will be a blow for him with all that has happened to him this season."

Still Hope For Smith: Sheffield United manager, Neil Warnock has admitted he is not very hopeful that Martin Smith will sign a new contract, raising hopes that he will join Forest.

Smith is thinking over an improved offer from United after rejecting the initial terms put forward. Warnock is pressing Smith to make a decision, but the player says he wants to take his time and weigh-up his options.

Smith admits that United have made him a good offer, but he adds there are other factors he is not quite sure about. Warnock says that he thinks Smith is being steered towards Nottingham Forest by his agent as Forest are ready to offer Smith a lucrative deal which United cannot match.

United have turned down Forest's latest bid of �300,000. But if Smith continues to stall on signing a new contract, United could decide to cash-in rather than see him walk away for nothing at the end of the season.

January 13 2000

Edwards Crocked Again: Defender, Christian Edwards, has been hit by another fitness problem days after making a return to action. Edwards, who is reported to be a target for Premiership outfit Watford, had recently shaken off a knee injury and made his first appearance of the season in Tuesday's reserve game against Chelsea. The knee stood up to the test, but he now has an infected elbow after he gashed the joint in the early stages of the game. The problem is not too serious and the defender hopes to resume training next week at some stage.

Crossley Nose It's OK: Mark Crossley received the news today that his nose is not broken. He damaged it during Tuesday's clash with Chelsea reserves at The City Ground when he took a bad fall in the early stages of the game. Fears were that he had broken the nose but medical examinations have revealed that it is very badly bruised but otherwise intact.

January 12 2000

Mannini Retires : Moreno Mannini has decided to call time on his footballing career and return to Italy after struggling to make his mark at The City Ground.

The former Italian international originally planned to retire at the end of the 12 month Forest contract he signed last summer. However, he has now decided to quit early and head back to Italy. Mannini, who joined Forest from Sampdoria, has been blighted by fitness worries since he arrived at The City Ground. As a result, he made just 11 appearances.

David Platt knew Mannini from his days in Italy and played alongside him at Sampdoria. In his autobiography he called the Italian the "shrewdest defender I've ever played with."

Platt said of Mannini's retirement: "I had a gentleman's agreement with Moreno that we would review the situation if things weren't working out.

"I brought him to Forest because we were so short of bodies but he's not had the easiest of times. We decided that it was best for all concerned if we let him go. There's no point him being away from his family in Italy any longer."

Youth Cup Date Postponed: Forest's FA Youth Cup clash at home to Liverpool, scheduled for next Tuesday, has been postponed due to the first team's clash with Chelsea the following day.

January 11 2000

First Blood to Reserves: Forest's reserves scored first blood against Chelsea reserves this evening after beating them 2-1 at The City Ground. Hopefully this is a good omen for next Wednesday's FA Cup 4th round clash at Stamford Bridge.

Forest were first on the score sheet after out-of-favour Ian Woan opened the scoring. Chelsea were level a couple of minutes later. But Gianluca Petrachi won the game in the second half with his first Forest goal. Petrachi, who has just returned to full time training after a hernia operation in November, marked the occasion with a brilliant long range effort.

The good news for Platt is that Petrachi, Louis-Jean, Bonalair and Christian Edwards all made their return from injury and came through the game unscathed. This means Platt could face travelling to Grimsby on Saturday with the problem of having a large fit squad to choose from for a change.

January 9 2000

FA Cup 5th Round Draw: If Forest can overcome the small matter of an FA Cup 4th round game at Stamford Bridge then they will earn themselves a home tie against Arsenal or Leicester in the 5th round.

January 8 2000

Forest leave It Late: At last, an away win, must be the second one of the season. Mind you Forest left things very late, scoring all three goals in the last 12 minutes of the game.

A scrappy first half saw Oxford 'pulling out all the stops' and throwing everything they could at the Forest goal. There were two chances of note for Forest; Johnson hitting a shot just wide and Dawson, who was in for the injured Hjelde, having an attempt on goal 'scrambled away' not once but twice.

In the second half Oxford took a deserved lead by a 'good' individual effort from their No 3 Powell in the 72nd minute, after numerous 'scares' in the Forest penalty area.

Forest then took off Harewood and Williams who were replaced by Freedman and Rogers. Oxford's goal and the change of players seemed to spur Forest into action and we equalised through Bart-Williams (78th minute) .

When Freedman found a route into the Oxford box the Oxford keeper 'took him out' and was shown the Red Card. Chris Bart-Williams stepped up and calmly slotted the penalty home for Forest's and his second goal (80th minute).

Next it was Alan Rogers turn, he got the ball, went on one of his runs and scored with his RIGHT yeah his RIGHT foot!!

Final Score Oxford 1 - 3 Forest.

Bring on Chelsea!!

Thanks to Steve, assisted by the list 'Stato' Rob Raynham at the Manor Ground for live updates via mobile phone and to Dave Brown for writing up this quick report via e-mail.

January 7 2000

Stern Wants To Stay And Fight: Stern John has today told the Trinidad and Tobago manager Bertille StClair that he would rather put club before country at the moment. John, under current FIFA rules cannot refuse to join his international side if he is 'invited'.

John said: "We need everyone available at Forest to get us up the table.

"I'd rather stay with my team-mates right now. Forest is my club and it is my job for the next two and a half years to score as many goals as I can for them. That's what I want to do and why David Platt bought me here.

"It is more important that Trinidad do better in the World Cup than in this tournament. But there is nothing I can do. Under FIFA's regulations I have to go with Trinidad."

Blades Finally Name The Price: Sheffield United have finally told Forest (and the rest of the footballing world) what they will accept for Martin Smith.

Platt originally bid £150,000 for the striker, who is free to leave the Blades in the summer, under the Bosman ruling. This was then upped by £50,000 when the Blades rejected the first offer as 'derisory'.

Neil Warnock, the Blades manager has today told Platt that he wants £400,000 for Smith.

Crossley Is worried: Mark Crossley has revealed today that he is becoming increasingly worried he is being forced out of the club he loves.

Crossley, who is available on a Bosman free in the summer, has turned down an initial offer from Forest which saw his current salary reducing by £1000 a week each year for the term of the contract. The keeper is not even looking for an increase from Forest, and said in an Interview with Darren Fletcher of Century 106 that he would be more than happy to sign a three or four year deal which saw his salary stay exactly as it is now.

Crossley said today: "I am not worried about my future as I have been assured that there are plenty of takers if it doesn't work out with Forest.

"But what I am worried about is I might not be playing at the club where I want to be next season."

Harewood Nearly Left For Gillingham: Gillingham manager Peter Taylor revealed today that he almost signed Marlon Harewood before Christmas.

According to Taylor, both clubs had agreed a fee of �400,000 only for Forest to pull out before New Year.

January 6 2000

Four On The Way Back: Four of Forest's injured players have given David Platt a happier new year by stepping off the treatment table and returning to the training ground.

Alan Rogers, Gianluca Petrachi, Matthieu Louis-Jean and Thierry Bonalair are now looking to get back into the first team as soon as possible.

Petrachi resumed full training last week and was joined yesterday by Alan Rogers and Matthieu Louis-Jean. Thierry Bonalair, meanwhile, is expected to return to full training today.

The foursome are still a way of being ready for a return to first team action, but the fact that they have been given the all clear to resume training means Platt will have more options open to him in the coming weeks.

January 5 2000

Platt Appeals To FIFA: After Forest discovered they are likely to lose Stern John and Jim Brennan for up to three weeks in February, David Platt has issued a plea to FIFA to change its international rule book.

Platt Wants FIFA to recognize that the modern game and it's pressures mean that all international matches across the world are played over the same weeks of the year. In Europe, internationals are already allocated specific weeks - leaving players free to turn out for their club. However, the influx of players from outside of Europe, such as Stern John and Jim Brennan, is starting to cause league managers a headache because there is no fixture unification.

Platt said: "With more players coming in from Africa and the America's it is important that standard international weeks are arranged to cause the least possible disruption to clubs.

"It would be unfair for me to even try to stop players appearing for their country. To play internationally is the pinnacle of every footballer's career.

"As a manager you know that when you sign an international player, you will pay the penalty of losing them for a few games and I knew that when I bought both Brennan and John. But FIFA could sort the whole thing out merely by ensuring all countries played at the same time.

Another thing that bothers Platt, and many other Football League managers, is the bias shown towards the Premiership. Premiership games are postponed for international fixtures. A Football League team must lose three players before they can call off a fixture. Platt said: "During international weeks, First Division teams always find it more difficult than those in the Premiership. That should be looked at as well."

January 4 2000

Forest Look Set To Lose Duo: Forest look set to lose both Stern John and Jim Brennan for up to three weeks in February. Both players are extremely likely to be called up by their respective countries, Canada (Brennan) and Trinidad & Tobago (John), when they take part in America's Confederation Gold Cup in February. The Confederation Gold Cup is a FIFA ratified tournament that takes place every two years and involves twenty teams from the America's. This year it is due to be played from February 12-27.

Forest have no option but to let the players go because of FIFA's insistence that international call-ups always take precedence over club commitments. Trinidad & Tobago have announced that they will turn straight to FIFA for help should any club try and block the call-up of a player.

It is possible that both players could miss as many as three of Forest's league games each, however, it is also possible that they may only miss one game. This is due to the structure of the Confederation Gold Cup which starts with a group stage where only the first team in each group progresses to the next stage of the competition.

The league games the pair are likely to miss are Walsall (A), Crystal Palace (H) and Wolves (A).

January 3 2000

Away Day Blues Again: Forest's poor away form continues. This time they went down 3-0 to Charlton at The valley.

Charlton started the brighter side and took the lead on seven minutes when Greg Shields drilled a shot in from 25 yards. Following the poor start though Forest began to grow in confidence and started to apply pressure to Charlton. At half-time though the score remained 1-0 to Charlton.

Forest came out fighting in the second half and put more pressure on the creaky Charlton defence. Prutton, Johnson and Bart-Williams all had chances to make the score level but failed. Chris Bart-Williams cracked the ball into the net from a free-kick but the referee disallowed the goal on the grounds that Bart-Williams had taken it too quickly.

Forest continued to run the show with Charlton spending a lot of time on the back-foot. Prutton, Bart-Williams and Harewood were causing the Addick's defence all sorts of problems, however, on 70 minutes some poor work in midfield saw Forest give the ball away cheaply and a quick pass found Graham Stuart through one-on-one with Dave Beasant, Stuart slotted the ball past Beasant and the score was 2-0.

The second goal destroyed Forest's confidence after all their hard work and seven minutes later Hunt found himself through again to make the score 3-0.

There are some plus points to take away from today's game, but Forest have to sort out their away day problems soon or they can forget anything until next season.

Forest v Charlton: After a very quiet (in footballing terms) weekend for the Millennium things get back to normal this afternoon when Forest travel down to The Valley to play Charlton. David Platt is expected to name the same side that beat Birmingham on Tuesday, with one exception, Riccy Scimeca is now fully recovered from the flu and is expected to reclaim his place in the starting line-up.



e-mail:  [email protected]